With devastation on the East Coast, Big City Bride is sending all of our good thoughts and prayers to the people whose lives have been blown around. Although Chicago has remained dry and safe, Big City Bride has brides, grooms, friends, and families whose front doors are underwater.
In light of the Frankenstorm we are reminded of the stressful surprises that drastic weather can bring. Chicago wedding planning is often affected by winter storms and horrible blizzards rather than hurricanes, but none the less Big City Bride knows how to stay calm and carry on. Chicago is a beloved destination wedding city for its central location for travelors. That said, it’s not uncommon for many guests to arrive from the East coast.
The Frankenstorm is affecting Chicago weddings by threatening the travel plans of many wedding guests. Many Chicago brides and grooms may be wondering what happens when natural disasters shake up wedding plans and cause a last minute drop in guest count. Here are a few tips and insights from Big City Bride:
- Are the bride and groom in Chicago? Perfect! That is all you need for a Chicago wedding! Can your parents and most of the bridal party make it? Perfect! Your favorite people can witness the celebration. Focus on the lucky guests who can make it rather than on the guests who may need to cancel.
- Does your Chicago wedding venue have a food and beverage minimum or are you using a Chicago caterer? It’s important to note when you need to report your final guest count. If your list drops after this time then talk to your Chicago caterer about donating the extra food to a homeless shelter (NOTE: this must be done directly from the caterer to the shelter rather than from the wedding to the shelter.)
- Your floral design can only get better! If you reduce the amount of dining tables then either amp up each floral centerpiece or disperse the extra flowers to bars, ceremony decor, or even bathrooms!
- Consider a Chicago wedding videographer. If important guests might miss out on your Chicago wedding then consider adding a small video package in order to document and share the special moments with your guests who couldn’t make it.
- Be thankful you hired Big City Bride to handle all of your Chicago wedding planning worries when unforeseen stresses arise so that you can focus on the safety and arrival of the people you love!
Thinking of everyone in New York and on the East Coast. Sending Frankenlove to everyone affected by the Frankenstorm…and making sure that everything wedding in Chicago stays calm.